Thursday 5 July 2012

Lin Osborn inspired Photoshop Experiment

Lin Osborn's 'Rainbow'

      I really like Osborn's work as it is, for lack of a better word, very neat. All of her work shows a lot of control in both her layout and the images themselves. As you can see in the piece of work below, Osborn took these photographs in sections of colours. The thing that interests me the most is that she managed to capture so many ordinary objects, yet they appear to be exactly the same shade as one another. I do not know if the images were edited at a later stage to achieve the exact same shade on each row of photographs, but when looking at the image for some time it seems highly unlikely as these are well known products in most supermarkets e.g fruit and wrappers and are recognisable by these colours. I personally love her work as the white boarders between the images help define each photograph. However, they do not seem separated as the joint colours link them together.

To create images in the style of Lin Osborn, I used Adobe Photoshop to help create the layout for my photographs. What I did are bullet pointed below:-

v  Load photographs onto Adobe Photoshop
v Individually ‘crop’ image – Hold ‘shift’ whilst doing so to keep the image a square
v Open a new document – 209.97mm by 209.97mm
v Drag all of the images onto this new document
v Organise them in the order that you want them to be placed
v Press ‘cmd’ and hyphen ( ‘ ) to make a grid system appear on the document
v Resize an image and align it with one of the grid markings – do not need to hold down ‘shift’ as the grid can be used to make sure the images are equal
v Align all the images, making sure they are the same size with equal gaps around them
v Finally, press ‘cmd’ and hyphen ( ‘ ) again to remove the grid from the document.

Although Osborn usually does her photograph layouts according to colour, I decided to do one set to black and white to see what sort of effect would be given. I personally prefer the black and white one as I like the contrast in them. The coloured ones seem to be less interesting to me as there were not taken originally in those colours; I had to adjust the hues of the images.

No comments:

Post a Comment